This is a subject I should have talked about a long time ago. The danger of steroids is not to be taken lightly. I also invite you to watch this shocking and emotional video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbTyCe2dbRk
You almost pity this poor guy who has literally ruined his health in his selfish pursuit of the perfect body.
As mentioned in this documentary, Justin took all types of substances. He wanted to become bigger and bigger, stronger and stronger. This is actually a disease called: Muscle Dysmorphia. But I’ll talk about this disease in a future article.
Before we start, I want to say that I have never taken steroids and that I will never do. In this article I will simply explain what steroids are, the side effects, and why people are taking steroids.
What are steroids?
As usual, I will define what steroids are: ‘hormones secreted by the endocrine glands’ according to l’internaute. In fact, ‘steroids’ are naturally secreted in our body.
When mentioning these substances in the sport’s industry, it always refers to the anabolic steroids. This time, ‘these are artificial substances, made by man, which can cause significant muscle hypertrophy.’
Indeed, the first goal of anabolic steroids is to help you enhancing your muscle capacities.
How it Works
I will not get into details or scientific terms, but steroids will act on targeted genes, and in our case muscles. They will also increase the production of proteins and also improve the protein synthesis.
As you know, proteins are necessary for muscle fibers’ reconstruction. But the entire protein intake will not go directly into your muscles. Steroids are somehow ideal because they will get more proteins in those muscles.
Steroids will also help to recover much faster and that’s why professional bodybuilders are able to perform ultra-intensive workouts without overtraining.
How to Take Them
There are several ways to ‘consume’ steroids: tablets, injections and even gels…
Side Effects (Unwanted)
This is the interesting part of the article. If taking steroids leads to a significant growth of an individual muscle mass, it also causes a ton of harmful side effects to your health.
– Mental Disorders: a common effect is the sudden and radical change in your mood. Consumers can also experience high euphoria or hyper-aggressiveness such as Tourette’s syndrome.
– Reducing Fertility: because steroids are very active in the testicles. Taking steroids stops the sperm’s production and leads to testicles shrinkage.
– Hypertension: related a lot to heart problems. In fact, it is the cardiac deterioration that will prevent coronary vessels to correctly dilate, which then will be blocked causing a heart attack.
– Insomnia: very common among steroid users. Again, you won’t feel any fatigue with steroids which is dangerous to your health.
– Hemorrhage and Cancer: bleeding may appear in your stool due to gastrointestinal bleeding. In fact, steroids are manufactured in a way that they escape the digestion’s step. Otherwise, the liver would ‘destroy’ those steroids before having an effect on your body. And that’s why most consumers have a problem with their prostate, including cancers.
– Hyper-confidence: the consumer often feels invulnerable. The fact that they don’t feel tired and always lift heavier explains a lot this hyper-confidence.
– Physical Problems: hair loss and breasts’ appearance (for men) must be one of the most popular side effects. Acne and cyst are not uncommon as well.
– Addiction: you must know that steroids are very similar to drugs. Once you have tried, you can hardly stop. And this is the real danger hence the importance to NEVER and I mean NEVER start.
Actually, this addiction will make it very difficult to stop those substances. It is very common to see consumers deprived of steroids falling into depression, have a loss of appetite or becoming violent and aggressive.
Why Taking Steroids
Having stated all these side effects (I probably forgot some), it is reasonable to ask how it is still possible to want to take steroids. And yet, many athletes regularly use those substances.
As I mentioned at the beginning of this article, the pursuit of the perfect body as well as having more and more muscles can lead to consume such products. For some, it’s like a sickness. They always think that they are not big enough and as the potential of an individual is quickly reached, steroids are the easy way.
Another reason might be that people have criticized their bodies when they were younger. The psychological factor is involved and it is always very difficult to get out of this vicious circle. When people kept repeating for years that you were fat, even if you have the best body in the world you will always believe that you are fat.
If the fitness industry is often associated with steroids, it is not the only sports affected by this plague. Cycling, football, athletics, almost every sport has problems with steroids.
Financial pressures often push people to take steroids to become faster and stronger. Indeed, if these substances significantly increase the volume of your muscles, they will also improve your performance: strength, recovery, speed, endurance … The money involved is so important that the athlete better be the best otherwise he can say goodbye to his career.
Sometimes, financial stakes are not pushing athletes to take steroids but simply glory! You just have to look at Lance Armstrong who said that if he had to do it again, he would do it. Some people are desperate to have their moment of glory.
We find the same thing in bodybuilding but also American football. A local newspaper interviewed American football players and asked them if they would rather die young and famous or old but unknown like everyone. I let you guess what they answered!
Steroids are literally crap for your health. Moreover, they are banned by sports and Olympic authorities.
They will help your body to get stronger, recover faster and have bigger muscles but at what price?
Despite all the side effects, many athletes keep taking steroids. Financial pressures, social pressures or psychological disorders are many reasons (not valid) to push people to screw up their health for a fleeting glory.
If you want to take steroids it is your choice but I won’t follow you. You can find tons of articles on the subject as well as emotional testimonies such as Justin.
You cannot say that we haven’t warned you of the tragic consequences of steroids.
Think wisely before you get in there. The quest for a fleeting glory has a price to pay.
Like the great Achilles, Justin paid the toll!